What are the symptoms of scleroderma?

This disease has more symptoms than jelly beans have flavors and they vary depending on which part of the body is affected. The most common symptoms include:

• Raynaud’s phenomenon. Your fingers and extremities change color and can become numb or painful in response to cold temperatures or emotional distress, like anxiety.

• Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). You experience acid reflux as well as issues with nutrition since your body has problems absorbing nutrients. If the connective tissue of the heart, lungs, or kidneys is involved, abnormal heartbeats, breathing problems, or kidney dysfunction can occur.

• Skin changes. Typically these include swollen fingers and hands, thickened patches of skin (particularly on your fingers), and tight skin around the hands, face, or mouth. (This tight skin can appear shiny sometimes.)

• With localized scleroderma, you typically also see morphea (oval-shaped thickened patches of skin that are white in the middle and have a purple border) and bands or streaks of hardened skin on your arms, legs, or forehead.

It is important to note that symptoms can and do change over time.

The symptoms of scleroderma vary depending on the severity and location of the condition. Localized Scleroderma affects the skin and is characterized by thick, white ovals on the skin. These can appear most anywhere and in any number.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Do I Get the Most Out of a Telehealth Appointment?
In this video, dermatologist Michelle Henry, MD, covers all the things to consider for a successful telehealth appointment.
What makes the skin on my hand get hot, thicken and peel every few months?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Many factors can make the skin of one or both hands become irritated and then thicken, and then begi...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?