What are the symptoms of flesh-eating skin disease (necrotizing fasciitis)?

Susan Evans
Dermatology
If you have had a recent injury where pain improves for about a day, then it becomes extremely painful again, you may need to seek medical attention. Even a muscle or joint injury without skin injury can be subject to deep soft tissue infection especially if you develop severe pain with chills and fever.

Most of the time you’ll be looking for the following symptoms of flesh-eating skin disease:
  • Skin that is hot, red and swollen. It may have red streaks coming from the wound area and pus seeping from it.
  • Fever, chills, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. These are signs of a systemic (or whole body) infection.
  • Swollen nodes in the neck, groin, or armpits.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
Is anything wrong if my eyes are dry and itchy?
If your eyes are dry and itchy, you may have ocular rosacea. Skin rosacea is another clue that ocula...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?