Can I swim in a public pool when I have a viral skin infection?

Some viral skin infections, such as molluscum contagiosum, may or may not be killed by the chlorine in public pool water. This is in part because the chlorine levels on a given day may not be adequate to kill all germs. Some germs, as well, take longer for chlorine to kill, and they may infect someone before they are killed. Your local pool may or may not have rules about swimming when you have a communicable infection, and you should follow those rules.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Potential Health Risks of Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD, is a chronic condition known for causing dry, irritated, itchy patches on the skin. It affects between 10 a...
What questions should I ask a dermatologist?
If you are visiting a dermatologist because you have a skin problem, you will probably have some...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?