How does sun exposure affect vitiligo?

Since white patches of vitiligo do not have melanin, the pigment that protects the skin from the sun, it is more at risk for sun damage. If you have white patches on sun-exposed skin, sun protection measures are necessary to protect your skin from the sun's damaging rays. Wearing protective clothing as well as sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30 can add protection to exposed skin and also minimize the contrast between white patches and unaffected skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
Can a beer bath help treat skin problems?
Hops are known for being the key ingredient in beer, and Germans have discovered their powerful medi...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?