What are some common kinds of skin injuries?

A skin injury, generally the result of an accident, can take several forms. One common type of skin injury is the scar. While most scars fade over time, some become raised, red, and stretch beyond the original area of injury.

A burn is another common type of skin injury in which tissue is damaged due to fire, heat or hot objects, chemicals, and other sources. Although burns can be severe injuries that pose a fatal threat, minor burns generally occur in the home and are treated by cooling down the skin and covering the area with an anesthetic ointment. Minor cuts, scrapes, and puncture wounds are similarly common and non-threatening.

Other skin lesions are generally the result of disease, not injury. However, erosions - or areas in which skin is open-can be caused by scratching or picking at the skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
What allergy tests might be order diagnose the cause of my hives?
Generally, there are three different forms of allergy tests used by physicians to diagnose hives, in...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?