Should I talk to my doctor about my seborrheic dermatitis symptoms?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Although you can usually treat your seborrheic dermatitis at home, there are times you'll want to consult a doctor. Excessive scratching can cause cuts on the skin that can become infected, and for that you'll need to see a doctor for an antibiotic prescription. Itching can also become extreme enough to cause lost sleep or work productivity. Your doctor can prescribe more powerful remedies if home treatments haven't worked and the itching or pain is that bad. Lastly, if home treatments don't seem to be having any effect over time regardless of the severity of your symptoms, you should consult your doctor.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

3 Ways to Improve Your Chances of Success When Treating CIU
CIU, or chronic idiopathic hives, can be challenging to treat, but there are a few steps you can take to improve your chances of success. Watch this v...
15 Things to Record in Your Chronic Hives Symptom Journal
Living with chronic hives can be frustrating and challenging. Known by the clinical name chronic urticaria, chronic hives recur and persist for a peri...
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?