Should I talk to my doctor about my seborrheic dermatitis symptoms?

Although you can usually treat your seborrheic dermatitis at home, there are times you'll want to consult a doctor. Excessive scratching can cause cuts on the skin that can become infected, and for that you'll need to see a doctor for an antibiotic prescription. Itching can also become extreme enough to cause lost sleep or work productivity. Your doctor can prescribe more powerful remedies if home treatments haven't worked and the itching or pain is that bad. Lastly, if home treatments don't seem to be having any effect over time regardless of the severity of your symptoms, you should consult your doctor.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Atopic Dermatitis: Questions for Your Pediatrician
Atopic dermatitis is a common condition that affects millions of people. Most people with atopic dermatitis first experience symptoms as children, typ...
Could my red blotchy skin be serious?
If you notice persistent red blotchy skin, and you're sure it's not an allergic reaction, it might b...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?