Is a scratch test (percutaneous) used to diagnose the cause of hives?

A scratch test is helpful when a person doesn't know what substance may be triggering his or her hives. During a scratch test, tiny drops of allergen extracts are scratched onto the skin. The doctor can identify allergies to pollen, animal dander, foods, drugs, and toxins if the skin becomes red, itchy, or swollen when exposed to them. Your doctor may also perform blood tests and skin biopsies to rule out skin infections or other diseases that could cause hives. Consult a dermatologist or allergist for more information.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Are There Any Lifestyle Modifications That Help HS?
There are many lifestyle changes that can help people manage hidradenitis suppurativa, says Dr. Henry. In this video, she covers strategies that may c...
What is cutaneous lupus erythematosus?
Cutaneous lupus erythematosus is a type of lupus that is also known as discoid lupus erythematosus. ...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?