What questions should I ask my doctor about my pityriasis rosea?

If you have pityriasis rosea, a common condition that produces a skin rash that can be quite itchy, ask your doctor:

- How long will I have pityriasis rosea?
- What medications treat pityriasis rosea?
- What can I do to relieve itching caused by pityriasis rosea?
- Are there lifestyle changes and home remedies that can help to manage pityriasis rosea?

These are just a few good questions about pityriasis rosea. Ask your doctor any other questions you may have about treating and managing pityriasis rosea.

I love a smart patient when I see one! What a great question. If your doctor has given his final verdict that your rash is pityriasis rosea, you might want to ask him any or all of the following questions:

• Are you sure it’s pityriasis rosea or could my symptoms be caused by something else?
  • How long will the rash last?
  • What treatments are available and what do you recommend for me?
  • Are there side effects to your recommended treatment?
  • Will my other health conditions complicate treatment?
  • Will the rash leave scars?
You will blow your doctor away, but you will also walk out of your appointment feeling a lot more comfortable with your diagnosis.
Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
You should ask about the cause and duration of your symptoms, the side effects of your treatment, and the likelihood that your condition could be caused by something other than pityriasis rosea.

Some of the questions to ask your doctor about pityriasis rosea are common to other illnesses or skin problems. What is the cause of the rash, how long it will last, and will it leave long-lasting marks are a few of the questions to start with. When the doctor recommends a treatment, you can ask what the side effects are and if there are any additional or alternative treatments you can do at home. If you have other medical conditions, it is a good idea to ask how those will affect your pityriasis rosea treatment.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Risks and Causes
Hereditary angioedima (HAE) is a rare condition that causes attacks of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Darria Long-Gillespie, Senior Vice Presiden...
Does vitiligo affect children differently than adults?
Vitiligo can affect both adults and childern, but the skin treatments for vitiligo may not be approp...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?