How can acanthosis nigricans be prevented?

Acanthosis nigricans is a condition that causes thickened, coarse brown or blacks marks on the skin, particularly in folds around the armpits, groin, neck, and breasts. Some people are born with it, but for others it may be preventable. Acanthosis nigricans is linked with several medical conditions, including disorders of the pituitary, thyroid, and adrenal glands.

Many people with acanthosis nigricans have high blood insulin levels, which are a risk factor for type 2 diabetes and obesity. For these people, regular exercise and a healthy diet may help prevent the skin condition. Your doctor also might suggest that you avoid medications that may cause acanthosis nigricans. These include growth hormone, oral contraceptives, and certain cholesterol-lowering drugs. Consult your physician if you think you may be at risk for acanthosis nigricans.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

What Are Chronic Hives?
What Are Chronic Hives?
Hives, also known as urticaria, present as swollen welts on the skin. They are often itchy and uncomfortable. Watch this video to learn what makes hiv...
3 Ways to Improve Your Chances of Success When Treating CIU
CIU, or chronic idiopathic hives, can be challenging to treat, but there are a few steps you can take to improve your chances of success. Watch this v...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?