What are possible complications from tattoos?

Several possible complications can happen as a result of tattooing. One potential risk is bacterial infection at the site. To avoid infection, be sure to follow proper aftercare as your tattoo heals. Your skin may also react to the tattoo, resulting in bumps called granulomas. Metallic pigments can be problematic -- or even painful -- for people who have to have MRI scans. Serious allergic reactions to the dye or pigments are a possibility as well. It's important to note that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not regulate tattoo inks. Finally, perhaps the most serious risk is the possible spread of infectious disease through tools used by tattoo artists. You can avoid many of these complications by researching and carefully choosing a safe, reputable tattoo parlor that adheres to local or state regulations, and follows proper sterilization and sanitation procedures.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
How do drugs affect the skin?
Many drugs can affect your skin. For example, prescription antidepressants, especially the popul...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?