What are port-wine stains in newborns?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)
Usually present at birth, port-wine stains are red skin stains that are made of dilated capillarylike vessels. If they are present around the eye, they may be part of Sturge-Weber syndrome, which is associated with glaucoma.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...
Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A port-wine stain is a type of birthmark also known as a naevus flammeus.  These are vascular birthmarks and are part of a family of disorders known as vascular malformations.  A Port-Wine Stain is a result of swollen blood vessels near the outer layer of the skin, which create a reddish-purple discoloration of the skin.

Port-wine stains are present at birth and persist throughout life.  Early port-wine stains are often flat and pink in appearance and the color may deepen to a dark red/purple as the child gets older.  Port wine stain birthmarks grow in proportion to the general growth of the child

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Hidradenitis Suppurativa: Coping with Frustration and Distrust
Many people with hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) live with symptoms for years before a healthcare provider accurately diagnoses the condition. Hidradeni...
Why can topical medications cause increased skin sensitivity?
Some topical medications can increase skin sensitivity. For example, benzoyl peroxide and azelai...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?