How is phototherapy used to treat dermatitis?

Phototherapy is used to treat some forms of dermatitis by exposing the skin to ultraviolet light. It is thought that UV light helps prevent bacterial infections, which are common in some types of dermatitis. This treatment is not recommended for children due to the risk of long-term side effects, including skin cancer and cataracts.

Talk with your doctor about whether phototherapy will help treat your dermatitis.

Occasionally, phototherapy is used to help adults with atopic dermatitis. Phototherapy involves exposing the affected skin to light - sometimes natural and sometimes artificial light. It is very rare for phototherapy to be prescribed for children because its side effects can include cataracts and skin cancer.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
What should I ask my doctor about my skin?
Review the following questions about skin health so you're prepared to discuss this important he...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?