Does a doctor use a patch test to diagnose dermatitis?

If you have contact dermatitis, a patch test can help identify the substances to which you may be allergic.

Contact dermatitis flares when you come in contact with a particular substance or substances, which can range from poison oak to a specific ingredient found in everyday products. Your doctor will first examine your skin, will ask when your rash first appeared, and will discuss your medical history. He or she may also suggest that you avoid products and substances you believe are causing your allergic response. If you are not sure what allergens (substances that cause an allergic response) are causing your symptoms, your doctor may order a patch test.

Here’s how the test works: Dime-sized drops of chemicals inside a small metal cup are placed on your skin and covered with tape or a bandage. You wear the bandage home for about two days, keeping the area dry. After 48 hours, your doctor will remove the tape and check the area. Redness, swelling, bumps, or small blisters indicate a positive test result for the substance. Consult a dermatologist for more information.

Seek a physician’s assistance for medical concerns.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
What could cause pimples and rash on my bottom and private area?
Evelyn Minaya, MDEvelyn Minaya, MD
Pimples and rashes on the bottom and in the private area can be caused by the same or different thin...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?