How do other illnesses affect atopic dermatitis?

Atopic dermatitis appears to have some connection to certain other conditions. People who have this common skin condition are more likely to develop asthma, hay fever, and certain other conditions. However, it's not known whether having asthma or hay fever causes atopic dermatitis or worsens its symptoms. Researchers still have a great deal to learn about how other illnesses affect atopic dermatitis. 

Most illnesses don't directly affect atopic dermatitis. With that being said, if you suffer from asthma, hay fever, or any other allergies, you have a higher risk of developing the condition. Also, if you have atopic dermatitis, it is likely that you'll end up with a skin infection at some point. If you notice new symptoms or suspect infection, see your doctor.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
What can worsen skin conditions?
Cigarette smoking has been found to trigger psoriasis in some patients and worsen the condition in o...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?