What are the most common ingredients that cause dermatitis?

First off, I should mention that dermatitis refers to anything that causes inflammation of the skin, so it’s a pretty vague diagnosis. That being said, the most common ingredients to cause dermatitis are metals such as nickel, gold, and cobalt; fragrances like Balsam of Peru and other mixed fragrances; antibiotic creams such as neomycin and bacitracin; antiseptics containing thimerosal; and preservatives like formaldehyde and Quaternium-15.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Do I Get the Most Out of a Telehealth Appointment?
In this video, dermatologist Michelle Henry, MD, covers all the things to consider for a successful telehealth appointment.
What is contact dermatitis?
Contact dermatitis is a skin inflammation that occurs when the skin has direct contact with a substa...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?