Why do I get a sun rash when summer begins?

In the beginning of summer, your skin has not seen the sun for a year and is not used to it. When your skin is at its lightest, you are most likely to get burned. Because of this, that first exposure to sun you have can cause a burn and a reaction in your skin presenting like a rash. For this reason, it's important to make sure you always wear sunscreen, especially early on in the season, when your skin is at its lightest.

If you live in a northern climate, your first or second exposure to the sunlight in spring or early summer is more likely to bring on a sun rash because your skin has not been exposed to the sun for many months. People who visit sunny locales during the winter may also be affected by sun rash for the same reason. Fortunately, each time the skin is exposed to the sun, sensitivity to light usually decreases. So by the end of the summer, many of those who were affected earlier in the season by sun rash are able to enjoy the sun's rays.

Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun's harmful rays. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Potential Health Risks of Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD, is a chronic condition known for causing dry, irritated, itchy patches on the skin. It affects between 10 a...
How can I tell if I have an ingrown pubic hair?
You can tell if you have an ingrown pubic hair if you develop a small, round, painful or itchy bump ...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?