What are milia in newborns?

Commonly seen in newborns, milia are small white bumps on the skin.  They occur when dead skin become trapped at the surface of the skin.  Milia commonly appear on across the nose, cheeks and chin of a newborn.  There is no way to prevent the development of milia and the best treatment is to do nothing and they usually disappear in a couple of weeks with no long-term effects.

Milia are little cysts containing keratin and oils and are very small in babies. They usually are multiple, white or yellow, and are most often on the face but can appear on the upper trunk, limbs, penis or mucus membranes. They go away fairly quickly and are harmless.
Milia are skin growths that come in the form of tiny pearly white or yellow cysts, usually thousands of them. Milia can affect up to half of all newborns (and usually right at picture time). They commonly appear on the cheek, nose, chin, and forehead but can also pop up on the upper trunk, limbs, and other areas.

Milia usually exfoliate spontaneously in one to four months. Washing with baby soap and water may quicken the process. For the face, try using just a wet washcloth. As much as you may want to, resist popping or squeezing the milia.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Potential Health Risks of Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD, is a chronic condition known for causing dry, irritated, itchy patches on the skin. It affects between 10 a...
How can I avoid getting lamellar Ichthyosis if it runs in my family?
Lamellar ichthyosis is not a condition that you can take steps to avoid. People who have lamella...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?