Could I lose consciousness as a complication of hives?

Severe cases of hives can produce swelling inside the mouth or throat that can make a person lose consciousness by cutting off breathing. This is a medical emergency that requires immediate care. Hives are a very common allergic reaction to various drugs, foods, and certain conditions. The raised, red, itchy welts vary in size and can appear as small spots or large blotches. Consult a dermatologist or allergist for more information.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
What causes painful cracks in my heels?
Wear and tear can cause painful cracks in your heals because your feet get a lot of use. It is impor...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?