What do I need to know about caring for someone with dermatitis?

When caring for someone with dermatitis, it’s important to know which type of dermatitis the person has. There is no cure for some types of dermatitis, but itching can often be relieved with the use of certain medications. Talk with the person's doctor about how best to care for their dermatitis. 

As a caregiver for someone with dermatitis, you should take special care to prevent the patient from scratching the rash. Covering the rash, keeping nails trimmed and possibly covered, using corticosteroid creams, and using antihistamines can all help. You should also try to keep the patient's skin moist. If you know what triggers the rash, take care to keep the patient away from the irritant. Finally, call a doctor if the rash looks infected.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
Why can topical medications cause peeling of the skin?
Certain medications increase the rate of cell turnover in the skin, making it shed faster and po...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?