Is frostbite a skin injury?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Frostbite, a skin injury that occurs from prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures, generally heals on its own when treated with first aid. However, frostbite can occasionally be serious. If you think you might have frostbite, first try to treat it at home by warming the affected areas using warm water. Do not rub the affected area because this may increase damage to the tissue. Do not use a heating pad, heat lamp, stove, fireplace, or radiator to rewarm the affected area; these may warm your skin unevenly or may burn your skin, particularly if it's numb and you cannot tell how hot your skin is getting on the surface. If the skin turns pink and begins to tingle, blood is again beginning to circulate.
If the area stays numb, however, or you experience sustained pain, your frostbite may be severe. To treat this type of frostbite, you will need advanced medical care. Severe frostbite can result in a variety of complications, including numbness and gangrene.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

What Causes Hives?
What Causes Hives?
Hives are red, itchy, slightly raised or swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. They are also known as wheals, and by their clinical na...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?