Is dermatitis a genetic disorder?

Dermatitis is not technically a genetic disorder, but it probably has a genetic component because it tends to run in families. So if parents have eczema, atopic dermatitis, or allergic dermatitis (the type of dermatitis that causes the immune system to overreact), their children might get it too. Researchers are studying one gene in particular that may play a role in protecting the outermost layer of skin. This gene may be faulty in people with dermatitis. Consult a dermatologist for more information.

Seek a physician’s assistance for medical concerns.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Atopic Dermatitis: Questions for Your Pediatrician
Atopic dermatitis is a common condition that affects millions of people. Most people with atopic dermatitis first experience symptoms as children, typ...
What causes stretch marks?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Stretching of the skin during weight gain and loss leads to stretch mark formation. There is permane...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?