Is atopic dermatitis life threatening?

Atopic dermatitis is not life threatening. This common skin condition causes unpleasant symptoms, particularly intense itching. If atopic dermatitis is not treated, you may be unable to resist scratching the persistent itch. Over time, relentless scratching can cause skin infections or give your skin a leathery appearance. However, atopic dermatitis is not a deadly disease. Your doctor can suggest treatments for your atopic dermatitis to help you live a more comfortable life.

Atopic dermatitis isn't a life threatening condition. With a proper diagnosis and the right treatment plan, you should be able to manage the disease. However, it isn't uncommon for people suffering from atopic dermatitis to end up with an infection at some point. If this happens, it is important to see your doctor right away in order to treat the problem and avoid further complications.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Potential Health Risks of Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD, is a chronic condition known for causing dry, irritated, itchy patches on the skin. It affects between 10 a...
Should I worry about my health if I have stretch marks?
Nearly 70 percent of women have stretch marks, and usually they're a result of pregnancy or chan...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?