What increases my risk for nummular dermatitis?

You have an increased risk for nummular dermatitis if you are a male over age 60, especially if you're Asian. No one knows what causes nummular dermatitis. Nor does anyone know why older men have a higher risk for developing this skin condition, which is also known as nummular eczema. However, certain things seem to worsen symptoms of nummular dermatitis, including:
  • dry skin
  • emotional stress
  • skin irritants, which can include wool clothing or overuse of soap
  • changes in temperature
Avoiding these triggers may help you manage nummular dermatitis. Your doctor can give you more advice on your risk and what you can do to help symptoms.

While the exact cause of nummular dermatitis is unknown, there are some factors that may put you at risk. Generally, men are more frequently affected than women, and the most commonly-affected age group is 55 to 65 years old. Women tend to be at a higher risk between 15 and 25 years old. If you or any family members have had allergies, eczema, and other skin conditions, you may be at a higher risk for nummular dermatitis. Also, since dryness can worsen the symptoms, people who live in cold, dry environments may be at risk.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
How is a Spitz nevus treated?
Research indicates that there may be a relationship between a Spitz nevus and melanoma, a deadly...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?