What increases my risk for hidradenitis suppurativa?

Doctors believe that hidradenitis suppurativa is genetic, so anyone who has a family member with this condition may be at an increased risk. The condition appears to be most common among women, African Americans, and people between around age 13 to age 40. However, anyone can get it.
Certain factors do not necessarily increase your risk for hidradenitis suppurativa, but they can increase the severity of the symptoms. These factors include smoking and weight gain.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Questions to Ask a Dermatologist About HS
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is an inflammatory skin disorder that causes breakouts of lesions. These lesions: Can be itchy and painful Can cause...
What skin concerns should I ask my doctor about?
Ask your doctor any questions you have about the health of your skin. If you have any symptoms, ...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?