What increases my risk for albinism?

Since albinism is a genetic disorder, someone is at increased risk if a biological family member has albinism or carries copies of a gene that causes albinism. Some groups are at increased risk for specific types of albinism, including people of:

-  Puerto Rican descent - 1 in 1800 people have Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome (a syndrome associated with albinism)
-  Japanese descent - more at risk for Chediak-Higashi syndrome (a syndrome associated with albinism)
-  Sub-Saharan Africans and African-American descent - a certain type of albinism (oculocutaneous albinism 2, or OCA 2) is more common than for other people
-  Black South African descent - more at risk for a certain type of albinism (oculocutaneous albinism 3, or OCA 3)

Albinism is inherited, so there is nothing you can do to increase your risk for the condition.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Risks and Causes
Hereditary angioedima (HAE) is a rare condition that causes attacks of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Darria Long-Gillespie, Senior Vice Presiden...
What causes painful cracks in my heels?
Wear and tear can cause painful cracks in your heals because your feet get a lot of use. It is impor...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?