Can I get dermatitis from work?

You can get dermatitis from the workplace. This type of dermatitis, known as occupational eczema, usually occurs when a person’s job requires him or her to come into constant contact with an irritating substance. Certain professions make you more susceptible to occupational eczema, including those of housekeeper, bricklayer, worker in the metallurgic or mechanical industry, hairdresser, and health-care worker.

Talk with your doctor about how to minimize exposure to workplace irritants.
As many as 13 million individuals may be exposed to chemicals at work that can be absorbed into the skin. Those chemicals can cause a variety of skin conditions, and dermatitis is one of the most common of those conditions.

Industries that might expose you to allergens or irritants that could cause dermatitis include cleaning, cosmetology, agriculture, and many others. Working with portland cement and metalworking fluids can raise your risk of work-related dermatitis.

Wearing gloves when you are working with chemicals and covering any exposed skin may help prevent dermatitis that you would otherwise get from contacting irritants and allergens.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What types of anti-itch products are available over-the-counter?
Anti-itch treatments available over-the-counter include antihistamines, corticosteroids, and ane...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?