How can vitiligo cause depression?

Vitiligo may cause depression because it affects a person's outward appearance. In a society that focuses on appearances, people with vitiligo may feel embarrassed and even ashamed. While vitiligo does not usually cause medical problems, the psychological and self-esteem effects can be a problem, especially in people with darker skin. If vitiligo is on the face, neck, or hands, the white patches may be viewed as a sign of cosmetic imperfection. People may feel as if the world is staring at them. In children and teenagers, vitiligo may be particularly devastating if the depigmented patches appear on the face, neck, or arms.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
How can I care for my dry skin during the winter?
Harsh winter weather can damage your skin more than any other time of year. Watch as Dr. Oz explains...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?