How do viral skin infections affect the body?

Different viral skin infections have different effects on the body. For example, some infections mainly affect the skin, such as molluscum contagiosum. Other infections, such as roseola infantum, cause other bodily symptoms, such as a high fever. Still other infections, such as genital herpes, can not only cause sores on the skin and genital area, but can occasionally lead to body-wide illnesses such as meningitis and problems for newborn babies. Like herpes, the virus that causes chickenpox does not go away after the initial illness; it can come back decades later as shingles.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
What can I do about flaking on my eyelids?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
The flaking along the eyelid margins comes from secretions from oil secreting glands near the eyelas...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?