How can I treat skin tags myself?

How can I treat skin tags myself?

Those bothersome skin tags tend to crop up as we age. To find out more about skin tags and how to treat them, watch this video by Dr. Oz.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

In general, it is not preferred for patients to treat skin lesions themselves. In the past, patients had been told to tie off the skin tags which devascularizes the base and the skin tag can then fall off. This, however, can lead to all types of skin infections and is not highly recommended. These skin tags can be easily removed by dermatologist or a plastic surgeon through small local injection, excision at the base, and base cauterization.

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

Unfortunately, there is no way to get rid of skin tags yourself - and please don't attempt to! Patients have come to me after tying strings around their skin tags to suffocate the growth. This doesn't work and can cause a staphylococcus infection.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Skin Disorders

Skin Disorders

Skin disorders affect people of all ages. Rashes, cysts, breakouts, redness and blisters all can be symptoms of conditions as varied as hives, rosacea, psoriasis, eczema and acne. Talk to your doctor or a dermatologist about any l...

asting symptoms to find the appropriate treatment. A doctor also can recommend the proper therapy for conditions like brown spots, spider veins, and fungal infections.