How can I tell if I have an ingrown pubic hair?

You can tell if you have an ingrown pubic hair if you develop a small, round, painful or itchy bump that resembles a pimple. The bump may be filled with pus and the skin around the bump may become darker. If you shave, pluck or wax pubic hairs, you increase your risk for an ingrown pubic hair. You can apply warm soaks to the area, which will help it resolve itself without treatment, so don't try to extract the hair yourself. If it becomes inflamed, see your healthcare provider; you may have an infection.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
When should I see a dermatologist for the first time?
It is never too early to see a dermatologist. There are several reasons to schedule a first appo...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?