How can I tell if I have an ingrown pubic hair?

You can tell if you have an ingrown pubic hair if you develop a small, round, painful or itchy bump that resembles a pimple. The bump may be filled with pus and the skin around the bump may become darker. If you shave, pluck or wax pubic hairs, you increase your risk for an ingrown pubic hair. You can apply warm soaks to the area, which will help it resolve itself without treatment, so don't try to extract the hair yourself. If it becomes inflamed, see your healthcare provider; you may have an infection.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Do I Get the Most Out of a Telehealth Appointment?
In this video, dermatologist Michelle Henry, MD, covers all the things to consider for a successful telehealth appointment.
What should I do before using a product to treat a skin condition?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Before selecting a product to treat a skin condition, it is a good idea to have professional adv...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?