How does stasis dermatitis affect the body?

Stasis dermatitis primarily affects the legs, though this condition can spread to the ankles and feet. Stasis dermatitis is caused by a build-up of fluid, which produces swelling and pain in one or both legs. The skin becomes inflamed and can turn a reddish-brown shade. Stasis dermatitis causes itching, too, which can be severe. Over time, the skin can develop sores, known as ulcers, which may ooze fluid. See a doctor soon if you think you may have stasis dermatitis. 

Stasis dermatitis affects the skin, usually on the lower part of the legs. Typically, stasis dermatitis occurs when fluid builds up under the skin, especially around the ankles. As fluid builds up, skin cells may become damaged and inflamed. The skin becomes red and itchy. At times, skin can become so damaged that an open sore forms.

Stasis dermatitis is often associated with circulation problems, though it does not cause poor circulation.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
What causes lichen planus?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
It is an inflammatory response of the mucous tissues that unfortunately has no known cause. It can b...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?