How can I prevent scratching when I have atopic dermatitis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Atopic dermatitis is accompanied by intense itching, and it can be difficult not to scratch at the affected areas. It's important to avoid doing so though, as scratching can lead to further irritation. Proper care of the skin can help reduce the itchiness. Another common practice involves making an effort to distract yourself. Try to stay active, occupying your mind with an activity or other thoughts. Hopefully, distractions can ease the desire to scratch. To avoid any unconscious scratching at night, try wearing soft gloves and keeping your fingernails short. If you continue to scratch at night, consider taking an antihistamine that promotes drowsiness before going to bed.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

What Causes Hives?
What Causes Hives?
Hives are red, itchy, slightly raised or swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. They are also known as wheals, and by their clinical na...
3 Ways to Improve Your Chances of Success When Treating CIU
CIU, or chronic idiopathic hives, can be challenging to treat, but there are a few steps you can take to improve your chances of success. Watch this v...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?