How can I prevent pityriasis versicolor?

Pityriasis versicolor is hard to prevent because it is caused by a yeast that is normally found on human skin. However, good skin care can remove the excess oil and sweat that can allow pityriasis versicolor to develop.

This fungal infection occurs most often in adolescent and young adult men, so it is especially important that these groups practice good skin care on a regular basis. Also, if you have a history of pityriasis versicolor, your doctor or dermatologist can prescribe a medicated cleanser that can be used once or twice a month for preventative care.

If you have questions about ways to prevent fungal infections or pityriasis versicolor, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Questions to Ask a Dermatologist About HS
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is an inflammatory skin disorder that causes breakouts of lesions. These lesions: Can be itchy and painful Can cause...
What is mastocytosis?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Mastocytosis is caused by too many mast cells in the body. This most commonly happens in skin. When ...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Are Skin Tags Removed?
How Are Skin Tags Removed?