How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose pityriasis rosea?

Before going to see your doctor about your pityriasis rosea symptoms, it is good to make a list of all your recent symptoms as well as your general medical history. You might want to write down all the questions you have so that you can make the most of the short appointment. At the appointment you can expect an exam of the rash-the so-called herald or mother patch in particular - and perhaps a blood test or skin biopsy

Great question! You’re well on your way to being a smart patient. Keep in mind that these suggestions are wise before any doctor’s appointment, not just one about a pesky rash.

So before you see your doctor,

• write down all of the symptoms you have been experiencing, even ones that you think may be unrelated to the main one you’re concerned about.
  • identify (and even write down) major personal events like severe illnesses, stresses, or significant changes.
  • write down everything that you take on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis and what dosage. This includes all prescription medications, vitamins, and supplements. Put an asterisk by the ones that you started taking very recently.
  • write down any questions you may have for your doctor (you’d hate to forget them while you’re in the office and remember once you’re back in your car!). Your questions may include things like: Is this condition temporary or long term? What are the treatments? Are there side effects of the treatments? Will my other health conditions affect treatment or recovery?

You may not have time to ask all of your questions just then, so try to prioritize them so you have the opportunity to ask the most important ones.

And take an advocate or a tape recorder to your appointment so you can be sure you get the answers right.
As with most appointments, when preparing for a conversation with your doctor about pityriasis rosea it is good to come prepared with a list of your symptoms, other conditions and medications, and any questions you have for the doctor.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Atopic Dermatitis: Questions for Your Pediatrician
Atopic dermatitis is a common condition that affects millions of people. Most people with atopic dermatitis first experience symptoms as children, typ...
What are petechiae?
Petechiae are tiny, flat purple or red spots on the skin, caused by broken blood vessels and bleedin...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?