How can scaly patches on a man's scalp be a sign of actinic keratosis?

Scaly pink bumps on the scalp may be a sign of actinic keratosis. Older people who have spent a lot of time in the sun without proper skin protection are most likely to develop these small, rough patches of skin, which may itch or burn. Any part of the body that's frequently exposed to the sun can develop actinic keratosis, including the face, neck, ears, forearms, and backs of the hands. Doctors suspect that actinic keratosis may be an early sign of skin cancer, so get any suspicious sores checked out.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
How do drugs affect the skin?
Many drugs can affect your skin. For example, prescription antidepressants, especially the popul...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?