How do medications treat urticaria?

In many cases, urticaria, or hives, develops when the body has an allergic reaction to something, such as a food, bug bite, or medication. Medications like antihistamines and corticosteroids help to counteract this reaction in order to ease symptoms. If an infection or other condition is the cause, doctors will need to treat this condition to relieve the urticaria. Chronic hives may be treated with doxepin, an antidepressant that also works as an antihistamine.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
How can I manage symptoms of a Spitz nevus?
A Spitz nevus is a mole with a dome-like shape. This type of mole looks very much like melanoma,...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?