How do medications treat nummular dermatitis?

Medications used to treat nummular dermatitis can be topical or oral. Topical medications usually contain a corticosteroid such as cortisone, which helps treat the condition by reducing inflammation. Coal tar, which is sometimes added to topical creams, helps treat the itch of nummular dermatitis. Oral medications are usually only taken if nummular dermatitis is very severe or if an infection develops. In those cases, antibiotics - and sometimes steroids - can be taken by mouth to help the entire body fight the rash and potential infection.

There is no cure for nummular dermatitis, so medications for this skin condition aim to control its symptoms. Dry skin can cause nummular dermatitis to flare up, which is why applying moisturizer to damp skin after bathing is recommended. Keeping the skin moist can reduce itching and prevent it from becoming raw and scaly.

Nummular dermatitis is a form of inflammation. If at-home remedies don't help, a doctor can prescribe medication that lowers inflammation, such as corticosteroid ointment or tar cream. In severe cases of nummular dermatitis, doctors may give patients corticosteroids in pill form or by injection.

If you develop an infection related to nummular dermatitis, a doctor can prescribe an antibiotic, which protects the skin by destroying bacteria. If itching is keeping you up at night, an antihistamine may help you fall asleep. Doctors may recommend other therapies for hard-to-treat nummular dermatitis. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Hidradenitis Suppurativa: How to Keep a Symptom Journal
If you’re living with a chronic condition like Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS), you know how challenging the management of it can be. From figuring out ...
How should I moisturize my skin if I have seborrheic keratoses?
Seborrheic keratoses are common skin growths that can start as small, rough bumps, but then thic...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?