How do I manage my scleroderma on a daily basis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Managing your scleroderma on a daily basis should first involve following your doctor's recommendations for medication and other treatment. There are additional things you can do to help manage the physical and emotional effects of scleroderma. Maintaining joint flexibility and muscle strength can help alleviate pain and stiffness and promote circulation, so it is important to exercise and keep a healthy lifestyle. If you smoke, quit - smoking constricts blood vessels, which may worsen symptoms. To protect sensitive hands and fingers, wear gloves whenever you expose your hands to cold even for a few seconds. Joining a support group, practicing meditation and other relaxation techniques, or seeking help from a counselor can help manage the emotional stress that may come from scleroderma.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

What Causes Hives?
What Causes Hives?
Hives are red, itchy, slightly raised or swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. They are also known as wheals, and by their clinical na...
15 Things to Record in Your Chronic Hives Symptom Journal
Living with chronic hives can be frustrating and challenging. Known by the clinical name chronic urticaria, chronic hives recur and persist for a peri...
How Are Skin Tags Removed?
How Are Skin Tags Removed?
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?