How do I manage my perioral dermatitis on a daily basis?

You can manage perioral dermatitis on a daily basis by following the treatment plan prescribed by your dermatologist. The plan may include using topical medications or oral antibiotics. Your dermatologist may advise you to stop using skin creams containing steroids.

As treatment of perioral dermatitis can take months, the key to successful management lies in patience and acceptance of the condition. Although the bumps and red areas caused by perioral dermatitis can be unsightly and resemble acne, you should not attempt to cover the affected areas with makeup, as this can worsen the condition. Likewise, do not try to scratch or "pop" the swollen bumps, as that would likely lead to infection.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
What is dropsy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The syndrome now called fluid overload was once known as 'dropsy,' from the Greek word for water.The...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?