How do I manage my cutaneous lupus erythematosus on a daily basis?

Cutaneous lupus erythematosus (discoid lupus erythematosus) only causes problems in the skin, causing a rash on the head and neck. If the rash occurs on the scalp, hair loss may also occur. A small number of people who have cutaneous lupus erythematosus may also get systemic lupus erythematosus.

The most important steps you can take to manage your cutaneous lupus erythematosus are to get enough sleep, get regular exercise and eat nutritious food. Stay out of the sun when you can, and wear sunscreen or clothing that covers the skin when you go out. If you do have a flare-up, follow your doctor's treatment plan, which may include medications taken orally or applied to the affected skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with impetigo?
If you are caring for someone with impetigo, his or her doctor may tell you to take steps to hel...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?