How do I manage my cutaneous lupus erythematosus on a daily basis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Cutaneous lupus erythematosus (discoid lupus erythematosus) only causes problems in the skin, causing a rash on the head and neck. If the rash occurs on the scalp, hair loss may also occur. A small number of people who have cutaneous lupus erythematosus may also get systemic lupus erythematosus.

The most important steps you can take to manage your cutaneous lupus erythematosus are to get enough sleep, get regular exercise and eat nutritious food. Stay out of the sun when you can, and wear sunscreen or clothing that covers the skin when you go out. If you do have a flare-up, follow your doctor's treatment plan, which may include medications taken orally or applied to the affected skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

What Are Chronic Hives?
What Are Chronic Hives?
Hives, also known as urticaria, present as swollen welts on the skin. They are often itchy and uncomfortable. Watch this video to learn what makes hiv...
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?