How long does it take to complete patch testing?

Prepare yourself to become a graffiti canvas for a few days. After the test, you’ll go back to the doctor a couple of times where the reaction under each patch is evaluated and rated. (There is a controversy over how valid this type of testing is). The first appointment will probably be 48 hours after the application and your doctor will mark the area with a waterproof pen. Subsequent appointments at 2-to-3-day intervals will be necessary to see if there has been any change, so you’ll know if the reaction was immediate or delayed. The whole process can take up to a week depending on your reactions. But it’s worth it if you do find out what pesky allergen is causing your symptoms.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
How should I cleanse my skin if I have melasma?
If you have melasma, a condition that causes brown patches of skin, often on the face, the most impo...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?