How is stasis dermatitis diagnosed?

Stasis dermatitis is diagnosed by its symptoms and by your medical history. Your doctor may ask you questions about your symptoms and your health and look at the skin on your legs. If you have a condition that results in weak circulation in the legs and have itchy, red skin around your ankles or lower legs, your doctor may diagnose stasis dermatitis.

Doctors diagnose stasis dermatitis by asking questions and examining the skin on the legs, ankles, and feet. A doctor may diagnose stasis dermatitis if you have the following signs and symptoms affecting your lower extremities:
  • swelling and inflammation
  • pain 
  • itching
  • sores, known as ulcers
  • reddish brown skin
  • thinning of the skin
A doctor may perform certain tests to evaluate blood flow in the legs and rule out other conditions. See your doctor if you think you have symptoms of statis dermatitis.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
How can I manage symptoms of a Spitz nevus?
A Spitz nevus is a mole with a dome-like shape. This type of mole looks very much like melanoma,...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?