How is lichen planus treated?

It is treated by steroids. The steroid can be placed topically or taken by mouth. The topical application is less effective but has fewer side effects than taking it orally.

I have also had some success by having patients change their tooth paste, especially away from those that prevent tartar formation.

For those cases that are more stubborn I have had success utilizing a process called iontophoresis and a steroid. It is more effective than the topical gel and does not have the side effects of the oral steroid.

Your doctor may prescribe various treatments for lichen planus. Some medications used to treat this condition relieve itching, swelling, and inflammation. Other treatments may help to improve the appearance of skin affected by lichen planus. A dermatologist (a doctor who treats skin disorders) can explain all of your treatment options for lichen planus.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
What can a doctor do for seborrheic keratoses?
A doctor will not usually recommend removing seborrheic keratoses, which are growths that appear...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?