How is hidradenitis suppurativa diagnosed?

Hidradenitis suppurativa is often diagnosed by a dermatologist - a doctor who focuses on skin diseases. Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and examine where your bumps and abscesses are located. He or she may then check your skin and take a sample of any pus or fluid that is leaking. These samples will be sent to a lab to be cultured in order to rule out other possible skin conditions.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
Should I see a dermatologist regularly?
According to Ellen Marmur, MD, associate professor of dermatology and genetics at Mount Sinai Sc...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?