How is excessive sweating treated?

Edward V. Ross Jr., MD
Dermatology

There are a couple of medical procedures that can control excessive sweating. Iontophoresis uses electricity to turn down sweat glands and works well on hands and feet. It’s an effective solution but a temporary one. Follow-up treatments will be necessary.

Another potential treatment is Botox, which can help block the nerves involved in sweating. Again, Botox is effective and temporary, lasting around four months.

More recently a microwave technology (MiraDry) has become available for underarm sweating. This device uses a heating and cooling sequence to selectively target sweat glands. The technique is noninvasive but does require a local anesthetic. Sweating typically is reduced by 70%, and the results are long-lasting.

Liposuction is another approach. In this procedure, a small cannula (a small metal straw-like device) is introduced through a small incision. A to-and-fro motion is then applied by the doctor to damage and remove the glands.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
How should I moisturize my skin if I have seborrheic keratoses?
Seborrheic keratoses are common skin growths that can start as small, rough bumps, but then thic...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?