How is cradle cap treated?

Cradle cap can usually be treated at home. Before shampooing the baby’s hair, gentle rub baby oil, petroleum jelly or mineral oil on the scalp. The oil will help to loosen the scales. Let the oil remain on the baby’s scalp for 30-60minutes, being sure to keep it out of the baby’s eyes and mouth. Then wet the baby’s head and gently scrub the scalp with a soft bristled brush to remove the scales. If the baby has a lot of hair, a fine tooth comb is useful to remove the scales. Next wash the scalp with baby shampoo or a gentle cleanser. Rinse well and towel dry.

Deborah Mulligan
Deborah Mulligan on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics
Because cradle cap is similar to dandruff you can treat it the same way.  You can remove thick scales by gently massaging baby oil or olive oil into your baby’s scalp and leaving it on overnight. The next day, comb your baby’s hair to gently dislodge the softened scales and then wash them away with over-the counter shampoos containing selenium sulfide.  Eyebrows can be treated with Hydrocortisone Cream 1% (over the counter) applying a thin layer - careful to avoid contact with eyes - twice a day for one week.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Atopic Dermatitis: Questions for Your Pediatrician
Atopic dermatitis is a common condition that affects millions of people. Most people with atopic dermatitis first experience symptoms as children, typ...
Are dermatofibromas dangerous?
Dermatofibromas are almost always harmless. The most serious symptom is minor itching. In some c...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?