How is atopic dermatitis (eczema) diagnosed?

A doctor diagnoses atopic dermatitis by taking a complete medical history, examining the person, and asking about his or her symptoms. Skin affected by atopic dermatitis usually feels dry and very itchy. Atopic dermatitis also produces a skin rash, often on the face, feet, hands, behind the knees, or inside the elbows. The skin may develop folds or creases, too.

Because other conditions can cause these signs and symptoms, a doctor will consider other information before making a diagnosis of atopic dermatitis. In particular, he or she will ask if any of the person's relatives had atopic dermatitis, hay fever, or asthma. He or she will also try to determine if some trigger is causing skin changes and symptoms, such as a specific food or chemical irritant. To confirm the diagnosis of atopic dermatitis, a doctor may give an allergy test. If you have symptoms of atopic dermatitis, see a doctor.

Atopic dermatitis is usually diagnosed with a doctor's visit and a quick look at your family's medical history. Unfortunately, a test to confirm the diagnosis hasn't yet been created, so you may have to visit your doctor several times to get an accurate diagnosis. It may be necessary to get an evaluation from a skin or allergy specialist as well. Through a process of elimination your doctor may be able to pinpoint a few specific factors that exacerbate your condition, making it easier to manage in the future.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Potential Health Risks of Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD, is a chronic condition known for causing dry, irritated, itchy patches on the skin. It affects between 10 a...
How common is a Spitz nevus?
A Spitz nevus is an unusual type of mole that looks similar to melanoma but isn't. Most Spitz ne...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?