How is angioedema diagnosed?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Angioedema is diagnosed by its symptoms. If your angioedema was caused by an allergic reaction, your doctor will most likely ask you to give a detailed account of the foods, medications, and other possible allergens that you may have been exposed to prior to the onset of symptoms. It is very helpful to keep a written record of the foods you eat and medicines you take, and share this with your doctor. If it isn't possible for your doctor to find the cause of the angioedema, he or she may do a scratch test (in which small amounts of an allergen are scratched into the skin) or other skin test to find the likely allergen.

Hereditary angioedema may be diagnosed by blood tests.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Treatment Options for Difficult-to-Treat Chronic Hives
Urticaria is the clinical term for hives—red, raised, itchy welts that form on the surface of the skin. Hives are classified as either acute or chroni...
How Are Skin Tags Removed?
How Are Skin Tags Removed?
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?