How is albinism diagnosed?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Albinism is usually diagnosed in infants or children, although people are diagnosed later in life, too. Through a physical exam, a doctor will look for changes in skin, eye, and hair color and ask specific questions about family history, called a pigment history, to see if the individual has lighter coloring than the majority of family members.

Eye doctors may perform an exam to look for a child's eyes shifting quickly and involuntarily (nystagmus), tracking problems as well as sensitivity to light.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

3 Ways to Improve Your Chances of Success When Treating CIU
CIU, or chronic idiopathic hives, can be challenging to treat, but there are a few steps you can take to improve your chances of success. Watch this v...
5 Treatment Options for Chronic Hives
5 Treatment Options for Chronic Hives
Treating chronic hives can be challenging, and different treatments work for different people. Learn about five different treatment options that you m...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?