How does hidradenitis suppurativa affect the body?

Hidradenitis suppurativa is a chronic condition, which means that it recurs. The skin develops lumps, bumps, and abscesses that can be painful and leak. After several recurrences of this, the skin may develop thickness and scarring. Some people's hidradenitis suppurativa gets worse over time and spreads to other areas of the body. For others, the condition remains the same or improves.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Hidradenitis suppuritiva may affect apocrine sweat glands in different parts of the body. As reconstructive surgeons, we are asked to surgically excise this tissue from the axillary regions. When conservative management fails, including powders and ointments and there are recurrent infections and scarring, surgical excision with flap reconstruction with drainage becomes the treatment of choice. This problem can also occur in the inguinal or groin regions. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Tips for Talking to a Doctor About Embarrassing HS Symptoms
Hidradenitis (hi-drad-uh-NIE-tis) suppurativa (sup-yoo-ruh-TIE-vuh), or HS, is an inflammatory skin disorder. HS causes painful, inflamed lesions tha...
How is a Spitz nevus treated?
Research indicates that there may be a relationship between a Spitz nevus and melanoma, a deadly...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?